Facing severe itching with small rashes. Not cured by medicine. Suggest some solution

I am from Pune. I am facing seviour itching from past 7 months(from Feb 2012). till now i have consulted 5 to 6 doctors, but no cure to itching problem. itching comes like insect biting, niddle pressing and sometimes with small rashes. if the rash come it will disapper within 30 mins. I have used citrizin, atarax, allegra, xyzal many more tablets, but only i am getting relief for 2 days if i use tablet. i have avoided some food, vegetables, non-veg also, but no use. i am unable bare the itching and it is effcting me mentally also. kindly provide me the solution for this problem.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

The condition you are describing can be urticaria,papular urticaria etc.

Urticaria is a chronic problem .It can be due to food allergy, environmental allergy, any
cosmetic ,nickel or other allergy.

I would like to know-

What is your occupation?
Do you come in contact with any chemical /industrial exposure?
Does it get aggravated by any specific food/ cold water/heat /exercise/pressure/any time of the day?

Do you get itchy red raised elevated skin lesions?

Do they disappear after taking tablet?

Please answer the above to help you better.

In general advise -

You should avoid baked foods like bread ,paav,pizza etc.

Avoid non veg foods, vegetables like baingan, tomato, bhindi and all seed containing
vegetables, colored foods , colddrinks, colored sweets and drinks, black grams and pulses.

Any allergen when consumed may lead to urticaria for three months even if you dont eat again.

Once the urticaria stops you can begin eating the food stuffs one by one.

Solution for urticaria is identifying the allergen and avoiding it.

Also Patch and prick testing may be required to identify the allergen.

Immunotherapy is a new good treatment for urticaria.

It is available at a qualified dermatologist.

Answer the questions to help you better.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Facing severe itching with small rashes. Not cured by medicine. Suggest some solution 20 hours later
What is your occupation? - Software Engineer working in MNC

Do you come in contact with any chemical /industrial exposure? - No

Does it get aggravated by any specific food/ cold water/heat /exercise/pressure/any time of the day? No

Do you get itchy red raised elevated skin lesions? Yes - But hardly visible( daily 1 or 2) 1 centimeter small rashes (it's visible for 15 to 30 mins only)

Do they disappear after taking tablet? - tablet will work within 30 mins and it will stop itching. rashes will visible, but very very rarley compared to without taking tablet(citrizin, atarax, allegra, xyzal ).

Anticipating your response.

I have gone under allery screening tests(By immuno capture elisa) on 09.aug.2012.

Test          Result

Cucumber     ** 1.70
Lemon          ** 1.90
Capsicum      ** 1.50
Ground nut     *** 2.30
Ladys Finger     ** 1.60
Yeast          ** 2.00
House          ** 1.70
Dog Danger     ** 1.10
Housedustmite     *** 3.90
Paper dust     ** 1.10
Parthenium     *** 3.60
Perfume          ** 1.2

*     Mild allergy
**     Midhigh allergy
***     High allergy

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Thanks for details.

It indicates that you have urticaria.

As indicated by allergy test you have allergy to parthenium,housedustmite,ground nut etc.

You should avoid all things to which allergy is present .Keep the house clean by vaccum cleaner.

Autologus serum therapy and immunotherapy are the new therapy in urticaria.

Autologus serum therapy consists of injecting your own serum in your body.

Immunotherapy consists of gradually increasing the immunity against specific allergens.

It gradually decreases the need for antihistaminics(cetirizine and others).

Both these therapy are available at dermatology clinics.

Also you should take antihistaminic on daily basis and should not take when urticaria develoopes.

Take antihistaminic like levocetirizine on daily basis for 3-4 months.This will deplete the HISTAMINE production in the body.Later need for antihistaminic will be reduced.

Then you can taper antihistaminic to one tablet on alternate day.One tablet after two days then one tablet twice a week and finally 1 per week.

In this way you can reduce the need for antihistaminic drugs.

Finally urticaria is a chronic problem .Please do not accept an overnight solution.
Avoidance of allergens is a must.
Stick to one good qualified dermatologist and take treatment from him.

Hope this helps.