Facing severe hair loss problem. What to do?

Hi, I am XXXXXX and my age is 26.
My concern is about my Hair and Scalp.
In my teens I was having thick long straight hairs, but 3-4 years back the scalp is visible (due to thinning hair) which is very embrassing many times.
Can I what would be the reason, all my maternal and paternal side are having thick hair.
Do suggest what needs to done.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

I can understand your concern. 

Its indeed distressing to have thinning of hair. We refer to thinning and consequent loss of hair as alopecia

Alopecia is of various kinds. The kind of alopecia you have depends on what of the scalp is the thinning more.

If the thinning is more on the central part of the scalp, i.e there is widening of the parting, its called female pattern alopecia. It happens due to an imbalance in the hormones. You will need to consult an endocrinologist for the same.
If there is generalized thinning, it could be due to telogen effluvium. This follows a period of stress or illness. The treatment for this would be intake of multivitamins, iron and biotin. Thus will enhance hair growth. Telogen effluvium is self limiting and the hair starts growing again in three months.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you.

Follow-up: Facing severe hair loss problem. What to do? 3 hours later
Yea..Thanks a Lot XXXXXXX

Can I get in touch with you.?? Else where/ what all should I get tested for??
Please do suggest.

Answered by Dr. Kruti 8 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I consult in Mumbai. You can come for consultation if that’s feasible for you.

If that’s not possible then I would recommend that you consult a competent dermatologist nearby, the treatment of alopecia would require you to be under constant supervision of your doctor.

Depending on the type of alopecia and the requirement for tests, your doctor can guide you in an appropriate manner.

As I mentioned, the treatment would differ in different types of alopecia.