Facing severe hair loss. Was taking Finasteride and Minoxidil. Are there any side effects?

Sir.. I am facing severe hairloss since last 3 years and almost reached very low density of hair on crown portion. I have taken Dr. Batra homeopathy treatment for a year but it was waste of money. Later I was on medication with a Dermatologist and he prescribed me to take Finasteride (Finax 1mg), Morr F Lotion (Minoxidil and Finasteride) and Multivitamin. I stopped taking finasteride after a month learning about its side effects and switched to Saw Palmetto which are natural berries. Even almost after two years I do not see much difference in my hair and planning to start finasteride again. I want your suggestion since I am planning to have a baby soon, will it affect my sexual life and sperm quality. I do not want to take finasteride even if there are 1% chance of any side effects for having a healthy baby. Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Finesteride 1 mg /d may improve AGA. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXXXX . It seems that you are having androgenetic alopecia..also called male patterned baldness. I read your history and gone through your blood reports. All blood reports are within normal limit except vitamin D, S.Homocystein and CRP. Vitamin D is lowered, S.Homocysein and CRP are elevated. For vitamin D you take tab calcium with calciferol and have sun bath in the morning.Lowered S.Homocystein suggest lowered vitamins.. So, take green leafy vegetables and take folic acid tab. which will normalise the level of S.Homocystein. The CRP elevation is of no importance in your case. I know you are worrying for finesteride. But, remember ..finesteride in low dose 1mg daily is not harmful. I usually give it to all patients of AGA from long time and for long time,and I have not come across any side effect,even sex, be cool and take tab finesteride 1 mg for few years or till you get good result. Along with it take biotin tab 10 mg daily. Apply minoxidil 10 % solution twice a day on the scalp. Do shampoo containing ketoconazole like scalpe shampoo. Shampoo should be diluted in water and do daily. After drying the hairs apply minoxidil. Keep the hair short. And never apply oil till you use minoxidil. Have patience and positive attitude. You will get good results. Have proper sleep and take healthy food. I hope you got my answer. Still, any query ,you may ask.. You may post photograph of your head...ok Have healthy life. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Facing severe hair loss. Was taking Finasteride and Minoxidil. Are there any side effects? 43 hours later
Dear Sir Adding a question to this, I have started family planning and would ask you once again as mentioned in my first query does finasteride 1mg a day can cause any reduction in sperms quality or volume. Or even if there any other complications in conceiving or later in foetus development. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Benifit of finestride is more than side effect. Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome back. You may take finesteride 1 mg daily without any doubt. It is a safe drug for scalp hair growth without affecting body hairs. Of course, in some patients, it may reduce sexual desire and ability. And may reduce semen quantity but without affecting sperms quality. But these side effects are reversible and occur in very few patients. It has no effect in your wife if you take it - concieving trouble or fetal abnormality. When you feel side effect,y ou may notify your dermatologist. Otherwise you continue to take it. I hope you got my answer. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD