Facing severe hair loss. How to treat this?

Hair loss what does it mean when your hair is falling out rapidly in less than a year my hair has shortened and got thinner more than 50 percent and I'm only 30 with very thick hair usually
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for posting your query
I shall try to help you regarding your hair loss but I want some more details from you.
You have not specified whether you are a male or female. Hair loss patterns are different in males and females.
Also I shall like to know
-Are you on any kind of medication?
- Do you have any kind of stress physical or psychological?
-Whether it is diffuse or localized or patchy?
-Whether associated family history present?
This will help me narrow down the possibilities of hair loss in your case.
Awaiting your reply……

Follow-up: Facing severe hair loss. How to treat this? 15 hours later
I am a woman I am NOT on any medicines I have been under a little stressed the hair loss seems to be all over my hair used to be passed.the middle off my back and now it's up to my shoulders and has thinned extremely in about eight to nine month. My dad seems to have then here the rest of my family very thick hair please help
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 7 hours later
Hi, Thanks for writing back.
Diffuse hair loss in your case may be due to one or more of the following conditions:
-Emotional stress
-Anemia (iron deficiency)
-Thyroid disorder
-Nutritional causes like Vitamin D deficiency, zinc deficiency, essential fatty acid deficiency, protein/calorie deficiency, malabsorbtion, and hypervitaminosis A and crash diets
-Stress from surgical procedures, general anesthesia
Often combinations of problems contribute to female hair loss. You have already mentioned that you have been under a little stress. Therefore, this may be the cause.
I suggest you get these lab tests done:
-Serum ferritin, Vitamin B12 levels, Thyroid function tests, vitamin A levels.
For managing hair loss, you may do as follows:
-Apply minoxidil 2% lotion daily at night. 1 ml to be applied all over the scalp. It may take 4-6 months to show visible results.
- Take iron, biotin, zinc, selenium and B12 supplements
-Avoid stress
Hope this helps you.
Feel free to ask any doubts.