Facing severe abdominal pain, stomach bloats and feel heavy. Suggest?

Jun 2015

Hello Doctor,

I am aged 27 years. Off late by evening, i have been facing severe abdominal pain. Basically the stomach bloats, amd i feel heavy. This usually stays for a couple of hours and subcedes.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antacid + anti spasmodics + diet & lifestyle

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to increased gas formation in the stomach secondary to excess acid production.
Causes can be many such as:
1. Stress
2. Dietary factors
3. Prolonged intake of certain medications like analgesics, etc.
4. Smoking & Alcohol.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of antacids like Pantoprazole (to be taken half an hour before food) & anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation (to be taken after food).

And it is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as:
1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods
2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration
3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc.
4. Avoid smoking & alcohol.
5. Keep away stress, think positive.
6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation.

If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Investigations like Endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract & Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Please let me know if I can clarify further.
Wishing a good health.