Facing problem on face, get acne pimples regularly. Suggest?

Dec 2013

I am facing problem on my face, get acne pimples regularly and this is from a long time (since the age of 17 I started getting pimples)

please help
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for pimples at the age of 27 years. Pimples at this age is quite unusual. It appears from your query that you are suffering from of pimples for long time of 10 years.

Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding pimples- Acne or pimples generally appears at the age of 13-14 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25 years. But in certain cases it may appear after the age of 25 years. This is basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation.

The hormone testosterone plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands especially in males. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples.

There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples also leads to formation of pimples.

Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars.

Therefore any of the above factors along with hormones can cause late appearance of pimples at the age of 27 years also.So probably you got some idea regarding your acne.

There are certain suggestions which you can follow:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face.

2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.

4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours.

5. Kindly do not use any antibiotic as self medication.

6. Do not apply any hair oil on scalp or apply in very less amount. Wash your scalp daily with some good shampoo and let there be no dandruff in your scalp ( because dandruff itself causes blockage of pores of oil glands and then pimples).

7. Other than that I would advise you to take "isotretinoin"- which is very good drug meant for long term benefit of acne. It should be taken only under dermatologist's guidance.

Kindly give me brief idea regarding :

-status of your pimples that how often in a month you get big pimples and also how many in a week.

-Are there any scars and/ or pigmentation.

-Tell me if you are married or unmarried and if married then future planning about children.

- treatment taken before in form of any medications by mouth or any medications which you have applied.

It would be better if you can upload a close picture of face. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your further queries. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia)I hope you would not be bothered to reply the above.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)