Facing problem of recurrent herpes infections. How to get rid of this?

I was diagnosed with vaginal herpes in July 2012 and rx'd acyclovir (fiancé also). My son had to be born c section route in November and its now April and I still haven't been able to get rid of the horribly painful spots. Some days it can be excruciating. And then recently I noticed two of the spots turned black. They are raised and about size of 1/4 green grape. Is it normal to have this much pain and have it be pretty constant? And for the outbreak not to go away? And the black spots?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Recurrent herpes infections could require actually a very different management approach. A clinical evaluation based on past history and exclusion of any possible cause of immune suppression is usually very necessary.

In case of recurrent infections, after a clinical diagnosis by your physician, you might to take anti viral drugs (Acyclovir, Famciclovir) for a longer period of time, at times exceeding a months or months depending on the case. In case of severe pain, topical forms (creams) of the drugs could be taken along side the Oral forms. Injectable forms of these anti viral drugs can be prescribed, depending on the severity of the lesions, degree of recurrence of infection, resistance to respond under standard anti viral therapy. The clinical appreciation and followup of a physician is a priority under such circumstances.

I will strongly suggest you and your partner book an appointment with a dermatologist or an infectious disease specialist, for a proper evaluation and institution of an appropriate management and monitoring plan.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Luchuo, MD.