Facing memory loss and trying to lose weight

Geriatrics Specialist
lot of memory loss, and i want reduce weight
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
hi there,
thanks for writing to us,
I need to ask you some questions,before deciding on what is causing the memory loss
Are you on any medications?
Did you have any head injury?
Do you use alcohol,smoke?
Do you sleep well?
Do you had any stroke? Any other symptoms like constipation, dry skin , poor concentration etc.

For weight loss, proper exercise and good diet plans help you to lose weight. You need to exercise for atleast 250 minutes a week. This can be any aerobic exercise like walking, jogging etc. For the diet, have a heavy breakfast and light dinner. Take 5-6 small meals daily and avoid oily, junk food and fried food as well.
let me know if you have further questions

Follow-up: Facing memory loss and trying to lose weight 10 hours later
am having alcohol little bit only 160ml only no smoking.sleep well but go to bed after 11.30 pm. to 8 am. Dont have any head injury.any stroke, Any other symptoms like constipation, dry skin only poor concentration.
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 8 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing back.

Memory loss can be related to multiple factors - such as stress, lack of sleep, excessive alcohol consumption, vitamin and nutritional deficiency, depressive episodes and other physical conditions. It can be corrected with improving lifestyle, restricting alcohol and a healthy nutrition. You are advised to see your doctor at his/her office. A detailed clinical examination and relevant investigations may be performed to classify your memory loss and isolate the causes. A specific treatment plan can be formulated accordingly.

In the mean while, start your exercises as mentioned in my previous reply. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables - they sharpen your mind. Sleep adequately and regularly - they keep your mind fresh and clear. Yoga and transcendental meditation can also be helpful.

Remember everything stored up in brain are chemical signals filing your sulci and gyri; so more you concentrate more you remember.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions,