Facing hair loss. Tried many supplement and treatment. Not cured. Reason for hair fall?

Hi Dr.

I’m a 29 years old female. My problem is that my hair had been falling down for the past 7+ years, and now I have many empty spots in my hair (like a global baldness) I still have hair but my scalp is obvious, very embarrassing and I’m really depressed cause of this issue... I tried many supplements and treatments. I had mesotherapy for around 6 months (around 12 sessions) and it didn't work out. I also used Viva Scalp, Priorine, Hair Grow 5%. The my last option was last September 2012, I went for a hair transplant, and they could only transplant a very small area as I do not have enough hair follicles, and to be honest I’m still not sure that this procedure worked out. After the procedure, I used Minoxidil (Rogaine 5%) for around 2 months, I could notice very minor small hair growing, however my scalp turned to be very very itchy and I got dandruff so I stopped it as it was so irritating that I couldn't even drive, because I wanted to scratch my scalp! Now I stopped it for around 1.5 months however I couldn't get rid of dandruff until now, and of course the small new hair is gone.

As you can notice from the above, not a single doctor did proper tests for me, they just jump to Minoxidil or give me supplements.

My question is, what could cause my hair fall condition? And what tests should I do in order to know the cause of it? I want to go to the next Doctor knowing what tests I should expect to do.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Patel 1 hour later

Welcome to healthcare magic forum.

I understand your concern about hair fall.

Hair loss in female can be due to nutritional deficiency, heredity, hormonal problem, medical illness, thyroid disorder, drug induced. We have to find out the reason for proper treatment.

I am fully agreed with your suggestion to do blood test to find out reason as you have done all the treatment available.

I would like to give list of blood test to be done.
- CBC (complete blood count)
- S.TSH, S.T3, S.T4 -test for thyroid disorder
- Serum iron, serum ferritin and total iron binding capacity
- Hormonal test (FSH, LH, DHEA, testosterone and prolactin)
- S. vitamin B12 level
- S.VDRL -screening for syphilis

In some cases, for proper clinical diagnosis, skin biopsy from scalp can be done.

Anti dandruff shampoo with ketoconazole and selenium will help in your dandruff problem. Apply it and massage for one minute and keep it on scalp for 5 minutes.
You can use 2-3 times a week.

Some helpful tips for hair loss problem.
1) Take diet XXXXXXX in protein like pulses. Protein helps in hair growth and prevents further hair loss.
2) Please avoid stress. Doing exercise and yoga will help you.
3) Keep your scalp clean and avoid using any chemical product.
4) Biotin base multivitamin can help you.

I hope I answered your question.

Let me know if you have any further query.