Facing breathing problem. What is the cause and treatment required?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Sir i am facing a problem with breathing from last 3 to 4 months so pse suggest me how will i be cure
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

Common problems which cause issues in breathing include pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, allergies etc.

Without an opportunity to examine you physically, I am unable to provide the specific treatment .To allow me to help you better, please let me know if you also have any of the following complaints:

Nasal congestion, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes, chest congestion, cough, wheezing, labored breathing, and shallow breathing.

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Regards.

Follow-up: Facing breathing problem. What is the cause and treatment required? 7 hours later
As per compaints mentioned by you, my status are as under
1) Nasal congestion-No
2) runny nose-No
3) itchy or watery eyes-No
4) chest congestion-can not say but i am filling some pain in my chest in the right and left
5) cough-No
6) wheezing-No
7) labored breathing-yes
8) shallow breathing-sir i don't understand this meaning
Sir this problem starts from last three or four months in my life. Sir I am worried about this and live in tension environment. Sir is this problem cause to death.Pse advice me what can i take necessary steps to resolve this problem

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

It seems to be chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Get examined by a chest physician . You may require spirometry to see the lung function. Once we have the results, we can discuss them here.

This problem does not cause death. Just relax, you do not need to worry too much.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Facing breathing problem. What is the cause and treatment required? 8 hours later
sir pse expain in detail i dont understand about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing again.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is disease of the lungs in which the airways become narrowed. This leads to a limitation of the flow of air to and from the lungs, causing shortness of breath (dyspnea). This occurs due to long term exposure to smoke or due to several other reasons, as is the case of bronchitis.

For diagnosis of COPD, lung function tests are required. On lung function test , there is low air flow in this disease.

Regards.