Facial pain, MRI and CAT scan okay. Tender scalp, eye problems, headache. Does this sound like temporal arteritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have severe pain and crunching sounds in my face where pain is when I move....MRI fine Cat Scan fine does it sound like temporal artertitis? Also tender scalp with pain ...eye pain and vision problems and tenderness around temple on left side...having cartoid artery tested with Ultra Sound soon..headaches feel like something is pulling inside my head and moving..I feel brain dead after these headaches. I am 51 yrs of age still in perimenopause but this can't be just hormones...neck hurts to I am almost ready to jump off a bridge and doctors don't seem to want to get to the bottom of it Fibro/ all they say but I have never heard of these symptoms with the crunching sounds and the visual problems and pain in eyes...don't k now where to turn now
Neurologist wants to do spinal tap but I hear they don't test for enough possiblities with a spinal tap. The ultra sound may show a blockage causing this pain ,,,even that dx would be a relief as I really wonder if it is Lyme disease and they just can't be sure..again thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 57 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Are you on any medication?

Have you done tests like ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), Blood work?

Have you sustained trauma to the head or neck?

How is your sleep, anybody pain, tender points over the shoulder, hips, thigh?

There are many possibilities for this clinical picture. It could be due to temporal arteritis considering scalp pain, vision problems, and age factor.

You need a thorough evaluation by the Neurologist to rule out temporal arteritis, Fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue syndrome, myositis syndromes.

You may require steroids and NSAID medication to subside the pain, inflammation, headaches. Avoid stress. Do Yoga for stress relief.

Kindly do reply to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Facial pain, MRI and CAT scan okay. Tender scalp, eye problems, headache. Does this sound like temporal arteritis? 36 hours later
Yes I have tried low dosage of steriods for one week ..maybe to low will ask doctor here. Yes I have had tests you mentioned but am having them done again this week. The only drug I take is o.5 tab of clonzapan when I am anxious and in pain and it seems to stop the flashes and vibrations in my sight and brain but I only use it when I am really bad...last night I had such pain between the bridge of my nose I could hardly move my eyes or look straight and along with that I felt out of it...The night before in bed I felt vibrations all behind my nose upper mouth and eyes and temple and crunching sound and movement in the same area. My hips are not tender I have a pain in my jaw lower right comes and goes and I have never read anything about this kind of eye pain and burning and pulling sensation with extreme pain as a symptoms of CFS/FB although that is what they believe I have and not lyme. I am trying anti viral drug today valtrex ...I bleive it is called. It almost feels like something is detoxing from my brain to my eyes headaches leave me so weak in the head afterwards ....tender points are in knees back of knees, lower left ankle dorsal ( inside ) but majority of pain is in and beside my nose bridge of nose temple and eyes...headaches a lot of the time. I have been hit in the back of the neck and left and right side of the temple and head butt on bridge of my abusive ex husband but that was a long time ago...The onset 3 yrs ago was sudden and I was not able to think , move, walk , talk right, I had terrible pain and nausea so not sure the trauma made me this way...seems more toxic or infection or virus...I don't know ...spinal tab maybe? ....hope that helps you more
thank you so much Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

It appears like you might be having Temporal arteritis or Giant cell arteritis. In this condition there is problem in vision, pain in the scalp and temple regions, pain in the jaws while attempting to move jaws and chewing, feeling of vibration in the head or eyes due to blood flow through the inflammed arteries, generalized weakness.

50% patients with Temporal arteritis have a condition called Polymyalgia rheumatica where there is neck stiffness and pain, also shoulders, hips may be affected.

Steroids are the mainstay for treatment. You need to also do moderate exercise to strengthen muscles and improve immune system. Avoid high carbohydrate diet, colas, junk food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to improve immune system and boost good health.

Since you have mentioned trauma to neck, it is advisable to get it looked at. Probably a scan will be helpful to find the cause for the pain and get adequate treatment.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.