Ask a Dentist   »  

Face swollen due to cavity in the wisdom tooth. Taking ibuprofen and amoxicillin. Pain spreading to ears. What to do?

hi, my whole right side of my face is very swollen , i have a wisdom tooth with a cavity(more like half my tooth is gone) i have an appointment with oral surgeon XXXXXXX 4th, BUT my mouth will not open, to the point where i can barely take my medication and i'm in a extreme amount of pain. The medication I have was a generic form of flexeril, 800 mg ibuprofen, amoxicillin, had some naproxen, nothing is helping, it is just getting worse, percocet is the only pain killer so far that worked with the pain for about 3 hrs. Also the pain goes up in my ears, down to my neck and collar bone ( pain isn't always that wide spread but throbs occasionally)
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 27 minutes later
Hello there,

Welcome to the Forum,

According to your clinical symptoms i suppose that you have developed a severe infection in your wisdom tooth, difficulty in mouth opening is due to pain and swelling.
I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth does not have any significant role in mastication and occlusion so its better to get it extracted if causing any trouble.
Pain in the ear and neck are of dental origin (radiating pain).

As you cannot see the Oral Surgeon right now i would suggest you to take the complete course of antibiotics and analgesics prescribed to you, if not orally you can take the medications in syrup form. If the above medications are not helping you can visit the Dentist and get a new prescription. Till then you can,
-Take lukewarm saline rinses to give soothing effect.
-Take antiseptic mouthwash rinses like chlorhexidine or Betadine to prevent
and superinfection.
-Apply ice packs externally.
-Avoid hot and spicy food, acdified and carbonated drinks, take soft diet.
-Take complete rest.
-Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope you find this answer helpful.
If you have any other queries i will be happy to answer.
Wishing you good health!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.