Face gets very hot and red during periods. Anything serious?

Hello Doctor,
My face gets very hot and red at periods of the day. This started to happen the last few weeks. It is not all the time, just a periods of the day. Also my hands and feet are cold. What could it be?
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The red and hot face with cold extremities could be due to normal hormonal changes in the body. Another cause might be a recent viral infection which you might have suffered in the recent past. These can be the result of weakness arising out of such an infection.
This can also can indicate an under-active thyroid - this is the gland that regulates our metabolism.You need to get your thyroid levels checked.
If it is due to the hormonal changes in the body then these symptoms are likely to subside in next few days without any treatment. Please do not worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Face gets very hot and red during periods. Anything serious? 25 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your answer.
Also the couple last months i am experiencing hunger pangs, but last two months it is very bad, it is happening all the time and i dont have control over it and must eat, i feel so bad, i have gained over 20 pounds for three months, i cant recognize my self, i feel so depresed because i cant help my self, i am scared if it is gonna stop ever or not. I went to doctor two days before because of pain in my chest, they made a blood test, x XXXXXXX and everything was fine, they just told me to see a gastroenterologist. But i am scared that this hunger pains will never stop, this really bothers me, i cant live like this anymore. What do you think, if they find something like acid reflux or whatever it is, are this hunger pains gonna stop? What do you suggest, please give me some hope.
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
These can be treated after proper evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The hunger pangs that you are having could be related to depression or a psychosomatic disorder. There is a treatment available for such problems. It is not likely to be due to gastritis or a intestinal problem.
You need a thorough psychiatric session with a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist and the first line of treatment like cognitive behavior therapy and social skills training. Medicines may also be required.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.