Face covered with salty granules after sweating, have dehydration and muscle cramps. I need more or less salt?

When i am working outside i sweat alot and always have salt all over my eyebrows. When i work really hard my whole face is covered with salty granules i feel like i have had salt poured over me. i drink plenty off water and sports drinks. also my whole life i have been dehydrated and ofter get muscle cramps. i am 36 weigh 215 pounds 6 foot 1 white male. some times i read i need more salt and then i read i need less.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 54 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Let me reassure you that I do not think you have any type of worrisome medical condition going on. I understand your concern and frustration with these symptoms as well.

You may have a mild degree of hyperhidrosis which is a medical term for excessive sweating. This is likely influenced by both genetic and environmental factors.

In your case it is very important to remain attentive to your fluid balance so you can avoid the discomfort of dehydration. Electrolyte beverages such as Gatorade are good sources of hydration due to the fact that the sugar and salt in these drinks facilitate fluid absorption in the body.

Aside from the annoyance of the salty sensation you experience I see no long term detriment in this condition. At the same time I recommend that you see your doctor at least annually for a thorough physical exam and screening blood tests.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga