FWhat causes extreme sensitivity and sunburn like sensation on thighs?

Front of my thigh is extremely sensitive and feels like sunburn, but I have nort been int he sun in months and there is no discoloration. Usually happens when i am trying to sleep at night. right now i feel it through my jeans.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Suspected diagnosis: Meralgia paresthetica Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Based on the information provided I would like to say that your presentation is quite similar to a condition called meralgia paresthetica. In this condition a sensory nerve is being irritated and compressed resulting in nerve entrapment syndrome that causes the symptom similar to a sunburn like sensation. What points towards this diagnosis even more is that you feel this even more during the nights, when you are in bed (lying down and applying further pressure to this nerve, results further aggravation, and thus the presentation). Do not worry about the above suspected diagnosis sir, as it is usually not very serious but I would still like to urge you to visit a neurologist or an orthopedician for a physical examination and confirmation at the earliest. I hope I have explained this to you in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you sir. Best wishes.
Follow-up: FWhat causes extreme sensitivity and sunburn like sensation on thighs? 22 hours later
is there anything i can put on my thigh to get relief?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treating the nerve will help,but you can try cream Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. As I am suspecting a nerve entrapment, no topical medication will provide relief sir. But if you wish to still give it a shot, you could try applying topical diclofenac ointment or cream. But, I doubt this will provide much relief. Visiting a doctor and getting accurately diagnosed should help you sir, as this is not a serious problem and can be easily treated if addressed accurately. Hope you understand sir. If there is anything unclear, please do write back to me and I shall be more than happy to assist you. Best wishes.