FNAC report indicates reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. What do you advise?

Sep 2012

fnac report of my wife . site;RT.cervical lymph node. microscopic;smear shows a polymorphous population of lymphocytes suggestive of reactive lymph. what u prefer in this problem
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the report indicates a reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. This means, body immunity is working on removing some infectious particle like bacteria or viruses.

This type of changes in cervical lymph nodes indicates that your wife is suffering from an infection. The source may be oral mucosa, teeth and gum, pharynx, lungs, ear, skin and many more. If she has dandruff, then also she can have this change.

So, first of all, she should be clinically examined in details for search of any source of infection. If nothing suspicious is found, a course of broad spectrum antibiotics should be considered. Before starting the antibiotic a complete hemogram is necessary to look for presence of neutrophilia.

She should be examined again after completing the antibiotic course. If the lymph nodes are still palpable, a repeat FNAC should be performed.

If, no change is seen, she should keep follwong up with the treating doctor regularly.

Lastly, consult with her treating doctor about my opinion.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.