FBC test shows elevated MCV and abnormal Hb level. Reason?

Female with recent fbc result of hb of 14 and mcv elevated,What is the reason for this?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

A Hgb of 14 is not really abnormal. An elevated MCV (mean cell volume) implies an increase in the size of the red blood cells. There is a long list of causes, but the workup should include tests of:
1. Vitamin B12 levels
2. Folate levels
3. Tests of thyroid disease
4. Tests for liver disease

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: FBC test shows elevated MCV and abnormal Hb level. Reason? 3 minutes later
Many thanks.Will be following up on further tests.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 0 minute later
Please let me know if you have future questions about the additional results. You can ask for me directly through your question - Dr. Raichle