Eyes underneath are swollen. Is it due to eye dropps or allergic reaction to makeup?

ENT Specialist
For the past two months underneath my eyes they seem a little swollen. I used cucumber, tea bag, ice, and they don't seem to go down. I thought it would be my eye drops. Can my eye makeup & face makeup cause them to be a little puffy. Is there any allergy testing I can take to find out if I am allergic to the makeup. It is making me very upset, because I had never had that before.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Between the two eye drops, Latanoprost eye drops are more likely to cause puffy eyelids.

2. Patch testing with a sample of each make-up product is the only way to determine allergy to cosmetics. There is no standard test. Discontinuing these products one by one may help. Anti-allergic medication should control most allergies.

3. Normal ageing may also lead to puffy eyelids. Get an eye check-up done.

4. Other causes for puffy eyes should be ruled out, such as:
A. Sleep deprivation
B. Renal problems, nephrotic syndrome and water retention
C. Hypothyroidism

5. Get your blood pressure checked and reduce salt intake if necessary.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Eyes underneath are swollen. Is it due to eye dropps or allergic reaction to makeup? 5 days later
Thank you for your answer. I have an appointment with my eye doctor on XXXXXXX 13th, and I will discuss my swelling with him. Maybe he has to change my eye drops. I do hope he takes me off the beta blockers. was a a little concerned that he put me on it. I had never had swollen eyes due to my eye make up products, but I think I should make an appointment to an Allergist doctor for testing.

Than you, Dr Bhatti
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The skin under the eyes is thin, delicate, loosely attached and has many blood vessels. Hence the puffiness shows up there.

2. You may follow up after your consultations directly at

Wishing you a speedy recovery.