Eyes started to itch, burn and swell. Probable poison ivy. Why does it keep coming and leaving?

I am 68 years old a woman and 5ft tall, about 155lbs take blood pressure medicine and lipitor. I thought I got poison ivy from an old fence I tore down in XXXXXXX of this year. My eyes started itching and burning and swelling. My personal doctor treated me for 2 months, gave me pregnizone which sent me to the hospital with blood pressure 300 over 130. Then I went to optomoligist who had replaced my lens, he said there was no damage to my retina or lens,
and he said I had contracted some kind of a disease that lived on leaves, possibly poison ivy and he gave me the creme to apply which seem to help for a while but now its back and seems to go in cycles. both eyes will get better and then worse. like a pendulum. Today they are burning so bad and hurt and have swollen up. My eyes are getting really dark. I have to work and this is really something I need to correct. I need to know what kind of doctor do I need to see or what else can I do. Got any suggestions, please....
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Follow-up: Eyes started to itch, burn and swell. Probable poison ivy. Why does it keep coming and leaving? 29 minutes later
logical questions refer to make up- I have changed all make up and also have quit using alot of it because of this problem. I started using restacia but does not seem to help. This problem is definitly running is cycles as I said before. I have used everything possible from old remedies to new. Lately I took my "wen" sweet almond
mint moist intensive hair treatment and applied to my eyes. only thing that has relieved the burning. Feel like vicks sauve might feel like. But it come back in a couple of hours. Feels like there is fever in my eyelids and surrounding skin. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later

There are multiple causes of the itching and burning in the eyes that you are experiencing. These include allergies, conjunctivitis, dry eye, infections and irritants in the air.

From your history, it seems that it could be an allergy or irritants in the air. I would strongly advise you to refrain from using any kind of chemical/product yourself. Treatment of allergy is basically preventive rather than curative.

You can consult a experienced Ophthalmologist in your area and try to find the triggering factors so that you can avoid it.

Further, you should get relief from anti-histaminics like Hydroxyzine in acute phase of disease. However, these are prescription drugs and can be obtained on prescription from your treating doctor.

Till then, you could take over the counter tablet Zyrtec 10 mg once daily.

I hope, I answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.