Eyes oozing mucus after swimming class. Had accident before. Are the related?

My son went swimming yesterday and his eyes started to ooze in the afternoon. They were glued shut when he woke this morning and now look very puffy underneath. He has never reacted this way before. Could you advise?

He had an accident 6 days ago when he ran into a pole in the school playground and had a very swollen, bruised nose and bleeding. I had him checked by a doctor and we were just waiting for the swelling to go down to be sure it isn't broken. My guess is that the eye swelling is separate, but I mention it just in case.
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later

Its probably an eye infection. You should apply antibiotic eye drops or ointment. It should clear in about 2 days.

This swelling has nothing to do with the accident. I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah