Eyes feel tired all day. Feel itching in the night. What to do?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
My eyes feel tired all the day, and itchy at nights.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic Vernal conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
XXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic
The symptoms which you have provided that you are having episodes of itchy eyes since you were in 8th standard, for which you have been using eye drops point towards chronic allergic condition affecting the conjunctiva, Vernal conjunctivitis.

Vernal conjunctivitis usually presents as recurrent allergic inflammation of the conjunctiva showing seasonal incidence affecting both the eyes. It typically starts in childhood affecting boys more than girls and the symptoms typically presents with symptoms of itching of the eyes. The symptoms increase in severity on exposure to hot and humid weather. The disease becomes less severe as the age advances and will resolve by 30- 40 years.

Since it is usually not possible to identify the allergen responsible for this allergic condition, the main treatment is by controlling the allergic inflammatory reaction by using antiallergic drugs and other drugs.

Antiallergic drugs like antihistaminic drugs, mast cell stabilizers are the first line of drugs.
Steroid eye drops are indicated in severe inflammations for a short period.
Cyclosporine eye drops are indicated in cases not responding to the above mentioned treatment. These drugs have to be strictly taken under the supervision of ophthalmologist to prevent drug induced complications.

Though the disease by itself will not lead to major visual problems and will resolve by 3rd decade, the main aim of treatment is to prevent complications.
The only problem is treatment is required for long time and still recurrences are known to occur and you need to change the drugs depending on the severity and response to the drugs.
Hence I advice you to consult your ophthalmologist and attend regular follow up as per the advice.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you

Follow-up: Eyes feel tired all day. Feel itching in the night. What to do? 57 minutes later
is rubbing the eyes okay ? I feel like rubbing them a lot before sleeping.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rubbing of the eyes should be avoided

Detailed Answer:
XXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic and thank you for asking the followup question.

Rubbing of the eyes should be avoided as
It can actually increase the allergic response thereby it makes you to rub the eyes again and again.
It increases the risk of getting infections of eyelids and conjunctiva like stye, conjunctivitis because of transfer of organisms from the hands.
Though rubbing of the eyes may not lead to serious diseases sometimes it is known to cause diseases of the eye like keratoconus.

If you are feeling like rubbing the eyes, it indicates that your allergic inflammatory condition is not well controlled, hence you need to take treatment for your allergic condition more aggressively as per the advice of your ophthalmologist.
Along with the treatment by eye drops these symptoms can be reduced by cold compress by using ice packs applied over the closed eyelids and by washing the eyes with water at least twice a day.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you

Follow-up: Eyes feel tired all day. Feel itching in the night. What to do? 1 hour later
which eye drop should I buy ? Itone ?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Itone eye drops is ayurvedic preparation

Detailed Answer:
XXXXX

Itone eye drops is a ayurvedic preparation used for non specific symptoms of the eyes like itching, watering, dryness....

Since you are having allergic conjunctivitis since childhood I advice you to consult ophthalmologist and take treatment appropriately according to the severity of the condition which will help in preventing the recurrences of the allergic inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you