Eye yellow in white part of eye,high fever,irritation and swelling in eye,red with discharge, ear infection,eyelid drooping,on antibiotics

Hello, My son is 4 years old. 11 days ago (Tuesday), I noticed his eye looked yellow in the white of his eyes and the same day he developed high temperatures and complained of feeling sick. His eye was irritated and he was rubbing it with his hands. It then turned red and had some discharge (not that much). His eye looked bloodshot under the lid. I heard that other children in his pre-school had eye infections during the same week. By Friday, he had worsened and I called the Doctor. By then the eye had began to swell. He prescribed an anti-biotic and said he had an eye and ear infection. The temperatures desisted within the following day or so. He is still taking the anti-biotic (finishes tomorrow) but his eyelid is still drooping a little. How long should this last and should we seek further medical advice? It is quite obvious when you look at him and I am quite worried about it. Hello, I also have a question regarding my three year old daughter. At approximately 9 months old, she was diagnosed with bilateral kidney reflux, grade 3 and 4. At age one, she successfully went through a STING procedure to correct the reflux. We have had no problems since. However, I have noticed over the past couple of weeks, there is a strong smell from her urine. There are no temperatures or other sign of infection. Would a strong smell indicate an infection?
I have since re-directed my second query to the appropriate kidney related area on this site. Many thanks!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The antibiotic which your son is to finish would have done its work by removing the infection from the eye , but the inflammation may be still persisting which is the reason why the eye lid is drooping yet.Well it may need no special treatment as it will limit on its own as the infection is gone.

Wait for another two days if not subsided on its own then he may be needing a examination by the specialist so as to put him on anti inflammatory drops and also to rule out any left out infection.

In your 3 year old girl , the smell in the urine do not suggest infection but depends on the food consumed also due to increased protein metabolism which can be expected in such fast growing age.Its always better to rule out undesired problems like infection by getting her urine analysed.That would give some good insights into the cause of the smell.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.