Eye weakness, viral infection, nerve weakness in eye, bells palsy

my right eye wants to close on its own, i am doing an effort to open it. it is looking smaller than its sister but no infection at all. i feel like my eyelid is pushing it to close. when i wake up in the morning and i want to open my eyes, only the left eye opens and the right stays closed for a while. if i will relax my both eyes, the left one will stay open while the left one will almost close, please i need your help. thanks
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Hello, it sounds as if you have something going on which is affecting the nerves and muscles which function to open and close your eyes. It is possible you have been affected by what we refer to as "Bell's Palsy." This is likely related to a viral type of infection and is quite often successfully treated by general physicians with a medication.

If you have no issues with muscle function elsewhere in your body, speech or swallowing, then Bells Palsy is the likely cause. I would encourage you to seek an examination by your physician who can fully assess your eyes and determine if medication will provide you with an optimal benefit. quite often patients recover from this palsy with minimal residual drooping or weakness. It is also remotely possible that some other type of inflammation in the nervous system is contributing to your eyelid weakness which is why again i would encourage you to seek an examination.

I hope I have adequately answered your concern. I am available for your followups.