Eye twitching. No vision problems. Area feels strange. Why?

45 135 pound female
i had eye twitch in the lower left eye and never has this occured before and i am having no vision problems but my face in that area feels weird
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Twitches in the eye are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
The presence of weakness fatigue and generalized fasciculations could indicate the possibility of a endocrine or a electrolyte deficiency.
The other associated conditions that also need to be ruled out is essential tremor.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels
In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition wil resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.
If this is a one time symptom then, you may as well wait and watch for it to subside on its own. Most of the time, it does.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Eye twitching. No vision problems. Area feels strange. Why? 28 minutes later
i mainly wanted to know if i could of had a possible stroke.i had all lab tests done recently and are were in normal limits.i had the eye twiching but the left side of my face near the left eye and cheek area feels weird and kinda numb and i know facial numbness can be a sighn of a stroke but i have no other symptoms of a stroke and no other numbness on left side or difficuly talking or smiling but my face feels weird.could i have suffered a small stroke and only have mild facial left sided numbness.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes your symptoms could be due to a minor stroke causing the numbness in the area. You can take some methylcobalamin supplements and see if there is improvement in the numbness. Such symptoms due to minor stroke usually resolve on their own over 2-4 weeks without any treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.