Eye pain, nosebleed and passing clot after neck and upper back massage. Family history of strokes. Any reason for concern?

ENT Specialist
I had a neck, upper back massage. Within an hour I had very bad pain in left eye. Ended up with heavy nosebleed, coming out forcefully from both sides of nose, and down back of throat. After 20 minutes, passed a 3/4" clot. Nosebleed took eye pain away. I bruise easily. 12 hours later passed a smaller clot. Any reason for concern. Extensive history of strokes in family.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for he query.

It is very unusual for the nose to bleed following neck or back massage. There is no relation between the neck and the nose and it could be purely coincidental. The nose bleed could be due to the warm and humid environment in the massage parlor which could have caused the dryness of the nasal mucosa and thus the bleeding from the nose. Eye pain noticed just before the onset of bleeding could be due to the sudden rupture of the blood vessel and the pain being transmitted to the orbit.

In your age group, there can be multiple weak points in the blood vessels called aneurysm. One of the weak aneurysms could have ruptured following rise in the blood pressure or dryness of the nasal mucosa.

As you have mentioned that there is a family history of stroke, you should be cautious and get a complete hematological check-up done for bleeding and clotting problems. If you are using any blood thinners, please consult your doctor for modification of the same. Secondly, consult your ENT specialist for an endoscopic nasal examination and to locate the bleeder in order to prevent further catastrophe.

Also, use saline nasal spray to keep your nasal mucosa moist, drink plenty of water and avoid smoking.

I hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon