Eye pain, early stage lattice, floaters, increased pain, burning, itchiness. Treatment ?

For last few months from May I am suffering with eye pain seen ophthalmologist(retina) but nothing found except a early stage lattice and some old healed vessel in only my Left eye but I am seeing floaters from that period i think they are increased little in both eyes. pain is now in both eyes with little burning sensation. I am using Refresh tear drop 5times a day and Cap Salace-i once per day. I want get rid of pain and floater docs I am software professional and my eyes are important part and my family need me I am feared am i losing vision. Well I don't see flashes in eyes but sometimes my eyes are itchy too... Please advice.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your eyes. I am sorry to hear you are having so much discomfort and hopefully we can put together a plan so you can have some degree of gradual improvement. Next as far as I discomfort is concerned we have to consider a few different categories which could serve as a possible cause. You mentioned that you are a software engineer and I imagine that you spend quite a bit of time using computers during the day. This generally will put a significant degree of stress on the eyes and can sometimes cause significant fatigue in the small muscles which help to provide good focus.

I am sure that you have already had your vision check and that if you need glasses they were already given to you. Another thing you might want to look at is the degree to which the monitor you use at work at the computer station might be causing some your symptoms. There are monitors which have covers that you can place over the screen to decrease the amount of glare which can cause problems with eye pain and discomfort.

Another possible consideration would be blood pressure. I assume that your blood pressure is normal but if it is the case that your blood pressure is moderately elevated this can sometimes cause headaches and eye pain. This is something simple that you can just check on your own.

Finally another possible contributing factor would be migraine headaches. These are caused by a fluctuation in the blood vessels inside the head which occur from time to time. Migraine headaches are generally managed by a neurologist. Sometimes they request imaging such as a CT scan of the head just to make sure there are no abnormalities in the blood vessels otherwise.

These are just a few of my initial considerations regarding your condition. Again I am sorry that you're dealing with this level of discomfort. I hope my answer has served to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga