Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Eye number is -2.5 in both eyes, fed up of lenses due to headaches, eye infection.Wanted to know about laser?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1035 Questions
I am 28 years old. My eye number is -2.5 in both eyes. I am having a number since last 10 years out which in the last 4 years this number is steady. I use spectacles when I am at home and use contact lenses when I go to work (10 hours is the contact lense use, sometimes even more) But now I am fed up of lenses due to headache after long hours or occassional eye infection. My eye doctor is advising me to wear them only for 6 hours or go for a laser operation to remove the number. I wanted to know if laser is safe? Can i go ahead with it? Will it have any negative effect on my eyes in the future. Will the number come back again in future? Please advise.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 33 minutes later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
After long hours of contact lens use,headache is not due to lenses ,but eye ifections occur due to lack of proper hygiene.This headache may or may not be related to lenses.This is to be differentiated for further evaluation.
No surgery is 100% safe.This surgery is having a success rate of about 98% in good centers.That still leaves you with 2% of problems,which at times may be unacceptable
What you have to do is either switch over to disposable lenses for the time being so that by the time that lens starts giving you any problem that lens is to be thrown away.
Maintain proper hygine to avoid infections by washing your hands properly before you handle lenses.
Have some life style changes like proper diet,exercise and rest to rule out general fatigue as a cause of headache.
Lasik laser is to be the last resort in such cases.
Follow these rules and in case of a problem please do get back to us.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor