Eye number is -2.5 in both eyes, fed up of lenses due to headaches, eye infection.Wanted to know about laser?

I am 28 years old. My eye number is -2.5 in both eyes. I am having a number since last 10 years out which in the last 4 years this number is steady. I use spectacles when I am at home and use contact lenses when I go to work (10 hours is the contact lense use, sometimes even more) But now I am fed up of lenses due to headache after long hours or occassional eye infection. My eye doctor is advising me to wear them only for 6 hours or go for a laser operation to remove the number. I wanted to know if laser is safe? Can i go ahead with it? Will it have any negative effect on my eyes in the future. Will the number come back again in future? Please advise.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 33 minutes later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
After long hours of contact lens use,headache is not due to lenses ,but eye ifections occur due to lack of proper hygiene.This headache may or may not be related to lenses.This is to be differentiated for further evaluation.
No surgery is 100% safe.This surgery is having a success rate of about 98% in good centers.That still leaves you with 2% of problems,which at times may be unacceptable
What you have to do is either switch over to disposable lenses for the time being so that by the time that lens starts giving you any problem that lens is to be thrown away.
Maintain proper hygine to avoid infections by washing your hands properly before you handle lenses.
Have some life style changes like proper diet,exercise and rest to rule out general fatigue as a cause of headache.
Lasik laser is to be the last resort in such cases.
Follow these rules and in case of a problem please do get back to us.