Eye lids swollen and red. Why is the other eye also infected? Why is an ear also infected?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 9 yr old son had 1of his eye lids swell and get red. Then it started to go down and the other eye did the same. 1ear is red and when touching the bone behind his ear we both felt a vibration.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Red and swollen eyelids with a red ear seems to be either due to lymphatic drainage problem or is due to any infection- these can range from bacterial to virus infections, and can be caused by numerous different things ranging from allergies to chemicals.
Using dirty contact lenses and sinusitis can also lead to such a swelling of the eyelids and ear.

The first thing he can do, regardless of the cause of swollen eyelids is avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the swelling. Staring at the swollen eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.

Try using a cold cloth or even cucumbers twice a day.
Splashing cool water on the face can help reduce the swelling.
Gauze pads soaked in milk can also help reduce the swelling in and around the eyes.
Over-the-counter antihistamines and/or eye drops can help too.
Physical check up is necessary to find out the cause. You need to consult his ophthalmologist to get antibiotic and anti allergic eye drops prescribed.
The feeling of vibration behind the ear is not abnormal. It is the transmitted sound.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.