Eye lid and middle of lower lip started twitching intermittently. What can cause this?

Neurologist, Surgical
My left eye lid and middle of my lower lip started twitching intermittently. What can cause this? I had a few drinks on Thursday but that is the only alcohol I have had in a week. Didn't know if that could cause it?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 10 minutes later
I dont think the alcohol is a cause of your symptoms. If this was only one episode, there is nothing you need to worry about. But if it is occurring frequently, this could be the beginning of hemifacial spasm caused by vascular loops pressing on facial nerve at its origin at brain stem in posterior fossa.
You will require to undergo MRI BRAIN with dedicated posterior fossa cuts to elaborate it. Treatment of this problem is medical first with gabapentin and tegretol (carbamazepine). If it still doesn't resolve, surgery or gamma knife can be used.
Dr Vineet