Eye feels bruised, reddish eye. Reason?

Hi My left eye feels bruised to touch eg if I touch the eye lid whilst close in the middle it feels bruised but it isn't. Also very blood shot
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
A blood shot eye which is painful to touch can occur due to two reasons:
1.     If the point tenderness is only at one point and not all around, then the possibility is that of a stye in which there is inflammation (swelling and redness) of the lid margin.
2.     If the tenderness is all around, then that pain is due to inflammation of conjunctiva, a condition known as conjunctivitis, which is seen in the form of blood shot eye.
So in your case, if the pain is all around then it is a simple case oF conjunctivitis, where only antibiotic drops are needed. Antibiotics would include fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin and aminoglycosides like tobramycin.
In case of stye, antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs like aspirin are needed to bring relief.

I would suggest you see your treating physician who can evaluate you and give you a prescription of the same.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Eye feels bruised, reddish eye. Reason? 22 minutes later
When I touch the eye lid when in open position it does not have pain which would suggest to me that it's tenderness on the actual eyeball ?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

A painful eye which is red (more so in one sector) indicates an inflammation inside the eyeball. This is known as ciliary tenderness. This is indicative of iritis or iridocyclitis.

This is an inflammation of deeper layers of eye and requires immediate treatment with local and systemic steroids.

Meny a times this is associated with pain in joints, then both the problems being part of same auto immune disorder.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.