Eye area swollen, red and itchy. No perfumes or creams used. What could be the cause and medicines?

I woke up a couple days ago and the area above and below my eye was very red and swollen and itchy. I haven't used any new perfumes or creams or anything like that. It hasn't gotten any better.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
I get the impression that the problem is in both the eyes.
this is allergic in nature.
What you have to do is wash your eyes a couple of times with plain water.
Use anti allergic drops.As it has been some time and the is not resolving then take a anti allergic tablet at bed time for a few days.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Eye area swollen, red and itchy. No perfumes or creams used. What could be the cause and medicines? 1 hour later
Are the drops prescription only or can I buy them OTC? Also, is there a particular one you'd recommend?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
My Dear,
This you have to find out locally if anti allergic eye drops are available otc.
The compounds are oloptidine,epinastine or bromfenac.Strongest anti allergics are steroids which should be put in under supervision.