Extremely scanty period flow, normal thyroid tests. What could be the cause?

I suppose I should start with saying that normally my menstrual lasts 6 days and comes every 22-24 days and they are pretty heavy throughout the whole time. About three months ago I thought that I was pregnant because my menstrual only lasted one day (and quite light for my body). So I assumed I was just spotting. Then that thought left when my menstrual came a month later, but this time it only lasted two days and the same thing happened for my last menstrual (still very light for a heavy bleeder like myself). But throughout this whole time, my abdomen has gotten bloated, breasts are tender, nausea so I took a pregnancy test and of course it came back negative. But the symptoms still continued so I had bloodwork done. My doctor had me tested for pregnancy and for my thyroid. The pregnancy test came back negative and my thyroid was functioning normally. I am so confused about what could be going on with my body. What else could be going on?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later
Menstrual abnormalities are commonest due to hormonal imbalance. Now its possible that regular heavy bleeders like your self may have less bleeding sometimes. Usually these things correct itself after the hormone levels normalise.You have already got some tests done. Now there should be some blood tests done like LH,FSH,PROLACTIN AND TSH. If these tests are normal,then get an ultrasound of the pelvis to rule out polycystic ovaries and ovarian pathology. These are some common causes for irregular cycles in your age group. If you are gaining weight, that could be a part of the same cause. Diet and exercise are important. If you have done all these tests then you will need some hormonal medicines for a few months to regularise your cycles.