Extremely painful periods with severe headache, abdominal pain and bloating. How can this be overcome?

Hi my girl friend has recently the last 2 time very painful periods, this time 10 days late, though showed physical symptoms headache , abdomen pain, bloating ,
Here period finally started slow showing signs of small dark discharges,.
Last night the blood flow was full , bright red(a lot) them she discharged some tissue . She says she feels better today with normal discharges. she still refuses to seek medical advice
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
The mild dark colored discharges before the beginning of the periods is a normal variation. It is also associated with mild pain and the cramps. The mild tissue that she has discharged is the endometrial lining which is the inner layer of the uterus and is shed in every cycle.
Since she is feeling better today, there is no need to worry. For the mild pain she can take an over the counter available anti spasmodic. Her pain and the blood flow will gradually reduce in next 2-3 days.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.