Extremely painful lower back, feeling of numbness, nausea. Suggest medication

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently went for an extended vigorous ride on a ATV last Sunday when my lower back was already a little sore. Monday night my lower left side just above my buttocks has been extremely painful. Nothing touched the pain. Lying down helps some as does essential oils of geranium and eucalyptus. I'm a little concerned about a small area of numbness on my lower back where the pain is coming from. Although it seems to be getting better. And the weird relationship between intense pain and just having eaten or food digesting. A few days ago I even felt nausea and didn't feel like eating which is not like me. Today I spent all day flat on my back which seems to help until I have to remain upright for any length of time. This is not the first time I've had a similar problem and I did recover in about a week. The gas in my intestines seems to be slowing down my pain recovery. What can I do to help this problem and is this a sign of something more serious?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
It seems your extensive ride is taking a toll on your back. You must have already known that by now. The back pain seems to be due to a muscle stiffness but since there is an area of numbness present, disc prolapse needs to be ruled out if the pain is persistent.
Conservative methods include medications- pain killers in combination with muscle relaxants, lifestyle modifications and physiotherapy wiz local ultrasonics, braces(belts) and exercises. You can get the appropriate medicines prescribed from your orthopedician.
Meanwhile, you may do 'back strengthening exercises', unfortunately those are difficult to explain in words and beyond the scope of this answer. But that you can learn from your physiotherapist or from images on internet. These exercises are the only long term insurance you have from similar attacks in future, and dont forget they have their limitations. Things you should avoid are long distance travelling, sitting in a particular position for long time(do regular stretching in hourly intervals), avoid forward bending and lifting heavy objects, and foremost do not self medicate.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Extremely painful lower back, feeling of numbness, nausea. Suggest medication 43 minutes later
Persistent pain means how long? And u did not address my question regarding the numbness in the area where the sciatic pain is and sciatic pain associated with eating and intestinal gas. Also with regards to self medicating r u referring to the use of essential oils of geranium and eucalyptus as a pain relief rub?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain lasts for more than 2 weeks then further evaluation for any structural damage is needed.
The numbness in the area could be related to a mild nerve root irritation. It usually subsides on taking methylcobalamin supplements.
The intestinal gas could be caused by the pain killers you might have been taking or the dietary modifications. It is not related to the muscular back pain that you are having.
You can use the essential oils after a hot fomentation for pain relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Extremely painful lower back, feeling of numbness, nausea. Suggest medication 20 minutes later
Im already taking b12 meth. 1000 mcg/day should i increase this and for how long? I do believe there is a definite connection between intestinal/bowel gas and intermittant severe sciatic pain. I think its somehow pressing against the area where there is root nerve involvement. Its just too coincidental not to be somehow connected.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You are taking the right dose of methylcobalamin. It should be continued for at least two weeks to have a symptomatic relief.
The intestinal distension cannot cause a compression of the nerves roots coming out of the spinal cord. The intestines are within the abdominal cavity while the nerve roots are encased within the spinal canal. These are not likely to be related.