Extremely low heart rate. Active lifestyle. Pacemaker implantation suggested. Will it affect the lifestyle?

I am a 78 year old male with a slow heart pace (about 30 beats per minute). I have a fairly active life style and usually jog 4 to 6 miles several days a week, at a pace of 13 to 14 minutes per mile. Since tests show I also have an irregular heart pace while sleeping it has been suggested that I have a Pacemaker Implantation.

Would a Pacemaker Implant interfere with my current style of living?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 33 minutes later

Your heart pace of 30 beats per minute is extremely slow (Bradycardia: heart beat <60 beats per minute).

You mentioned having irregular heart beat on your tests, so there is a possibility of arrhythmia or rhythm blocks on your tests.

Pacemaker will definitely help you and improve the funtional efficacy of your heart. Remember heart has to pump the blood to all parts of the body.

After pacemaker implantation, there will be certain restrictions on your physical activity but considering your age it is required. The quality of life will not be much affected. On the contrary some of the studies have shown improvement in quality of life after pacemaker implantation but these effects will not be much pronounced in your case considering your age. You also need to take certain medications after implantation.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra