Extremely itchy deep inside left ear. Developed painful sore throat followed by flu. Suggest the medication?

ENT Specialist
Dear dr,

I had a sudden extremely itch deep inside my left ear. I scratch it very lightly but can't reach it. The next day, I developed a painful sore throat at the upper left throat area n it hurts when I swallow.

I didn tink much of this thing but this is the second time to be too coincident . Last month I had the exact same thing! The sore throat came after the sudden itch n followed by flu with no fever. Eversince the first incident which could caused be by swimming , I had stopped n had been wearing ear plugs when I bathe.

Wats going on in there?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Left Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query. It suggests that you might be suffering from eustachian tube dysfunction. The underlying cause of this dysfunction could be left nasopharyngitis. This infection leads to the blockage of the left eustachian tube - which leads to the negative pressure in the left ear and feeling of the heaviness or itchy in this ear.

I personally advised antibiotic drugs, nasal decongestant, systemic decongestant, antiallergic drug and steam Inhalation in such conditions. Please visit your nearest doctor or ENT specialist for a prescription. Besides medication, it is advisable to undergo pure tone Audiometry, Impedance Audiometry and Eustachian tube patency test to exclude other causes.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Extremely itchy deep inside left ear. Developed painful sore throat followed by flu. Suggest the medication? 1 hour later
The deep ear itch came before the sore throat. Hearing was normal. No ringing etc. There was pain at the upper left throat when swallowing. There was no mucous, no nose blocking, no fever. I googled and realized that usually flu causes ear problems. But in my case, ear itches first then sore throat. May I know y that so?

I XXXXXXX know whether the throat pain will develop into a full blown flu yet. But as of now, there wasn't any other flu symptoms except pain in the upper left throat when swallowing. Yup the tube probably , that link the ear m nose n throat together .

Thks dr
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritation of the nerve is the main cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
Thank you for your follow up query.
I have gone through your query and also agree with you that in most of the case throat problem precede the ear problem in this type of disease.
But for your kind information there are two mechanism of the ear itching in this type of disease-
1. Already explain in the previous disease.
2.Irritation of the nerve Just like the referred otalgia(severe form in otalgia and mild form in the itching) because there is common nerve supply of the upper throat and that side of the ear which is responsible for the itching of the same side of the ear.
According to my best of knowledge, for controlling itching main focus on the treatment of the upper left throat.
Ya, Eustachian tube link the middle ear with the nasopharynx.
Again if you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health.