Extremely anxious, increased BP, shortness of breath and headache. Swelling in chest and back. Should I be worried?

Dec 2012

I have been told that i get easily stressed physically and mentally, this is a reult of past childhood experiences that have caused stress overtime, one day an event occured and I guess you could call it the last straw since after that i started showing extreme anxious tendencies...i.e- shaking, getting hot suddenly, increased blood pressure and heart rate for no apperent reason, pale, anxiety attacks, dizziness, shortness of breath, headches.......ect...well now ive gotten a bi of control over the mental symptoms as much as possible...but ive been getting extreme back neck and shoulder pain and with it comes the constant feeling of swelling in my chest and back...almost as if the muscles tighten and just dont want to relax, have gotten very dizzy during these occurances, have been to the doctor about my back and they could find nothing wrrong as you probably imagined....gave me muscle relaxers and motrin for inflammation.....i can get through this but as long as its nothing life threatening....i just need to know if what im experiencing isi really just my body overworking itself and nothing that could actually cause me harm....
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think it is something life threatening

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It seems to me you have been going through severe anxiety disorder which has lead you into having those psychogenic pain (pain due to a psychosocial disorder). The pains might not be real and might just be coming from your mind (subconsciousness). muscle pain and tightness is related to any XXXXXXX diseases besides a mental illness. I think you should try relaxing from time to time i.e get away a little from stressful activities, do a little meditation (you can get a lot of guidance online on how to do meditation) as it can help you a lot. Normally when I am handling patients who present with this kind of symptoms, ones I am sure that it is a severe anxiety disorder, I prefer to place them on treatment that can help put their problem under control. I do not place patients of your age on antidepressants as they usually come with a lot of undesirable side effects.
Your pains may also be coming from some strenuous daily activities. Take some time off daily to take some rest and do some daily exercise (could be indoors).
I think you are still very young and your system should normally be functioning optimally.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah