Extreme range of HDL and LDL. Is liver oK?

My HDL is 153 and my LDL is 241 - these numbers stay the same through years, the ratio is 0.6 - which is very good. Why do i have such an extreme range? Is my liver overworked? Would taking the meds disbalance the good work of my body as it seems to be doing a good chemical job to keep me healthy? all other blood test result is good.
Posted Tue, 15 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 13 hours later

It is good for you to post the complete lipid profile including Total Cholesterol, VLDL. Although the HDL / LDL ratio is above 0.4 (ideal) which is sensitive to predict cardiovascular risk, some experts believe they can mislead the treatment decisions. Experts feel that one should always look at the figures (actual values) themselves. Hence ratios are meant to predict risk but values are essential for treatment decisions.

Balancing cholesterol subsets is an important avenue to modifying overall cardiovascular risk. Increasing HDL and decreasing LDL has been shown to decrease this risk.

There are several causes of an elevated HDL level and high LDL. I do not intend to confuse or worry with the reasons here but for information sake I give some of them here

• Familial hyperalphalipoproteinemia
• CETP Enzyme (Cholesterol Ester Transfer Protein) deficiency
• Vigorous and sustained aerobic exercise (eg, long-distance running)
• Regular, substantial alcohol consumption
Primary biliary cirrhosis

The causes of an elevated LDL level include:
• Familial hypercholesterolemia
• Inactivity
• Obesity
• A diet XXXXXXX in saturated fat

My intention was to help you modify an lifestyle changes that can help reduce LDL. Numerous natural strategies have been shown to help optimize the HDL / LDL ratio including red yeast rice, guggulipid, beta-sitosterol, gamma-oryzanol etc. Let your treating doctor decide on the optimal treatment for you. Statins reduce the Cardiovascular risk but it is important to reduce to LDL alone.

Although your liver is not getting overworked by this, it is essential to realize that your LDL levels are much higher than the recommended levels. Ideally, the LDL levels should be less than 130 mg/dL. For this, I would suggest the following:
a. Avoid greasy food.
b. Have an adequate number of (5-6) servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
c. Restrict your salt intake to less than 1 tsp per day.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.