Extreme pain, constipated, pain near ribs. Used a suppository. Kidney infection?

PainI was recently in the local ER for extreme pain that was close to a kidney infection feeling. Doctors couldnt find what was wrong. Now I have been extremely constipated for two days. I used a suppository, and had a little relief. Now I am having extreme stomach pain and pain in my upper right flank right below my ribs. I dont know what to do
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 20 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query
I would like you to elaborate further on your problems so as to help me understand better.
1) Where was the pain earlier and what was the nature of it
2) What were the associated symptoms ? burning urine / fever etc
3) What is the time difference between the two pains
4) Are you passing flatus
5) How are the appetite, any nausea, vomiting, bleeding PR, fever
6) Drugs that you have taken
Follow-up: Extreme pain, constipated, pain near ribs. Used a suppository. Kidney infection? 16 minutes later
1. The pain earlier was in the same area as this (upper right flank) and all through abdomen. Same as now.
2. No fever that I know of, chills are present, frequent urge to urinate but barely passing any, constipation, weakness, fatigue...
3. only about a four day time pass between pain
4. Passing gas only while attempting to have a bowel movement
5. Appetite is less than normal, a lot of nausea, no vomiting yet, no fever that I know of.
6. taking my normal prescriptions such as multi vitamins and prozac. i have also taken a laxative and a glycerin suppository
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 34 hours later
Hi and thanks for the information
The symptom complex described may indicate -
1) Urinary tract infection - would suggest to get a urine routine examination
2) Gall stone disease like cholecystitis- usually will be seen on an ultrasound
3) Pancreatitis - May be missed on an ultrasoud because of gaseous distention of bowels. May be disgnosed by looking at serum lipase value.
4) Gastritis / Gastric ulcer - will be difficult to explain the constipation
All the symptoms can be explained by the gall stone disease and pancreatitis. Hence discuss these with your GP and get worked up if the physical examination suggests the same