Extreme neck pain causing difficulty in moving chin, swallowing. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Two nights ago, I had difficulty sleeping due to neck pain..couldn't get comfortable. Woke up the next day with a very stiff neck, which has become increasingly painful. The pain now is excruciating and seems to have moved to the base of my skull, radiating outwards, toward my ears. I cannot turn my head left or right, and I cannot lift my head/chin upwards. I CAN, however, put my chin down toward my chest. However, it has become so painful, it hurts to swallow. The actual weight of my head seems to an issue. To get up from a prone position, I have to support my head. The same goes for laying down or changing positions. I have to support the weight of my head. WHAT IS THIS????
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later

I am Dr XXXXXXX Gandhi, I am orthopaedic surgeon and spine specialist.
I have studied your case.

This kind of pain is due to compression of nerve due to spinal disc bulge.
Nerve compression leads radiating pain, with tingling and numbness which aggravated in particular position.

Muscular sprain due to extreme position of neck can lead to spasm of neck muscles, leading to stiffness
For this you need muscle relaxant from orthopedic surgeon after clinical examination.

Till that time take tab methylcobalamine 1500mcg once daily and painkiller

You may need to take X XXXXXXX spine, and MRI spine if no relief after medication

Take care,