Extreme nausea, weakness. Blood test normal. Had hiatal hernia repair & gall bladder removed. Taken anti-nausea medication.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been suffering from nausea for 6 months. 2 weeks ago I had a hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. I have now never felt worse. I have extreme nausea, weakness and heat in upper extremities. I have had bloodwork done...all seem normal. Can't sleep, anxious. Have tried every anti-nausea med to no avail. In the evening, around 5 or 6 I feel a little better but after a couple of hours sleep I wake up feeling horrible. Suicide may be my only answer.
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 30 minutes later

Don't worry. The severe nausea is most likely due to gas bloat syndrome. This is an aftermath of hiatus hernia surgery. It is a self remitting problem. You need to go slow on oral fluids. It would be preferable to have multiple small liquid feeds. A mild antacid like sucralfate will suffice. While sleeping at night ensure that the head end of the bed is elevated.

Another contributory cause for gastrointestinal disturbances is the post cholecystectomy state. During this phase dilute bile enters the intestine; as a result the digestive system becomes weak. This may also cause loose motions. Again this is a self remitting condition. You need to avoid oily foods. Only in a select few cases treatment is required.

As long as you do not have obstructive symptoms, you need not worry.

I hope my explanation helps in allaying your fears. Let me know if you have more concerns.

With regards