Extreme hand pain on the top, mild swelling. Treatment suggestion?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
My right hand has been giving me pain on the top center region, with only a little swelling. The pain is both sharp and burning, and if even lightly touched or brushed sends a new flare of pain. I've had this before, got x-rays, and nothing appeared. I figured that this might be soft tissue damage or something with nerves. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, so this is really concerning to me. Any sort of touch is enough to make me cry out, even if I try not to. The rest of the hand is fine, no numbness, tingling, or loss of movement. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The history that you have mentioned- sharp, burning pain on top of hand, and small swelling suggests a pathology of the nerve.

Since, X-ray of hand does not show any bony lesion, a soft tissue lesion is suspected.

Pain of such character is seen in nerve tumors like schwannoma, neurofibroma, perineuroma and malignant weight loss, weakness, or decreased appetite is present.

A MRI will help to any soft tissue lesion.

Consult your doctor for clinical examination, relevant investigation and appropriate treatment.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal