Extreme fatigue, not relieved by sleep. confusion, dizziness, nausea, weakness. What does this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my symptoms are as follows: Extreme fatigue, not relieved by sleep, confusion/ fogginess/slow thinking, dizziness, general weakness, nausea (no vomiting),and NO FEVER. I cannot figure out why I feel so incredibly awful without a fever, vomiting, etc. I have no cough or cold-like symptoms at all, either.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The symptoms of extreme fatigue , fogginess, slow thinking and dizziness without any symptoms suggestive of an infection can be due to an electrolyte imbalance, low blood glucose levels or a generalized viral syndrome.
You need to monitor your serum electrolytes and blood glucose levels after appropriate blood tests under the guidance of your physician. If these are normal then most likely the symptoms are due to a generalized viral illness.
I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Extreme fatigue, not relieved by sleep. confusion, dizziness, nausea, weakness. What does this mean? 4 hours later
Thank you, doctor. I wasn't sure I could have a viral thing going on without a fever. I forgot to mention one other thing I've noticed for the past week or two, which is that my skin is extremely dry and itchy. Nothing different with my hair or nails, but my skin , particularly on my face, forearms, back of my hands, legs and backside is extremely dry. It's also itchy, but not overly so, just probably due to the dryness. Does the skin thing lead you to a different possible conclusion for any reason? Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Viral infections are not always associated with high grade fever.

The skin symptoms that you report are less likely to be related to your systemic symptoms.

Taking a multivitamin supplement, electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids and fresh fruits will be helpful. Apply lacocalamine lotion for temporary relief of itching.

Hope my answer is helpful.