Extreme difficulty in walking, breathing problem, diarrhea, sore throat. Taking oxycodone, morphine for pain. Should be taken to doctor ?

My father is over 60, he is a Vietnam vet with agent orange exposure. He is having extreme difficulty walking, and last night was having a hard time breathing. He says he has had a swore throat for about a week now as well but does not know for sure why. He has had diarrhea for a number of days, and has not been able to hold down any food for about 4 or 5 days. He has been drinking some water, but also a good amount of wine. Between the wine and diarrhea, I can only assume that he is very dehydrated. He takes oxycodone and morphine for his pain, but has not had any for the past week, and he attributes his difficulty to the fact that the pain is too great for him to function properly. He insists on not going to the hospital because "they won't be able to do anything" for him. I know that he should go, and says to give it another day. I'm trying to decide if I should demand that I take him, or if I should just call an ambulance, or if I should "give it another day" what do you think?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Your father was taking hydrocodone in the past for pain. Stopping it abruptly might be the cause of having diarrhea. Improper diet is further precipitating the weakness which is making it difficult for him to walk. He needs systemic antibiotics for sore throat after a throat swab culture.
His condition definitely needs a medical attention and a good care to relieve him of his symptoms.
You need not wait any more for symptoms to improve and must take him to your family physician for a thorough evaluation and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.