Extrasystole heartbeats, take Atenolol. Are hormones a factor since I am pre-menopausal?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I'm a 47-yr-old woman who's had probs with extrasystole heartbeats all my life. I take Atenolol 50 mg daily (for years) but even so as I get older they're becoming more numerous. Are hormones a factor since I'm pre-menopausal? Previous ECGs have ruled out serious heart probs, but I still get scared by them. What more can I do? Will I need a pacemaker?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later

The extrasystoles in a normal heart are not suppressed by medications to large extent and extra systoles do increase a bit with age. Though there can be episodes of pal symptoms during pre and per menopausal age, there is no direct relation with pre existing extrasystoles.

Unless you are very symptomatic and troubled by the symptoms, there is no need to do anything. If you are symptomatic you can get holter and Echo studies done via a competent cardiologist.

Generally extra systoles have no indication for pacemaker.

Stress management would be one of the very impotant aspect of treatment. I advise you not to worry much and consider visiting a cardiologist (if you haven't seen one yet) if there are any problems.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other follow up.
Should you have any other concerns, feel free to write back, I will be glad to help you out.

Best wishes!!
Follow-up: Extrasystole heartbeats, take Atenolol. Are hormones a factor since I am pre-menopausal? 10 hours later
Are there other more effective meds I could take than the Atenolol my general practitioner has prescribed for me? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

If you don't have any additional problem, any drug should be fine, but in today's practice of cardiology, Metoprolol and Bisoprolol are better beta blockers than Atenolol but you will have to check if they approved for your indication in your country.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.