Extra split above rectum, no further opening, normal bowel movement

My twin grandsons appear to have something I cannot explain. The separatation between the buttock cheeks seems to be normal up to the rectum ..., then joined and then splits again above. It is as if the bottom has a further split. The rectum is formed and bowel movement is normal. It is just as if it has a further split above the rectum which is just a cleft .. with no further opening and not causing concern,. Just the extra split of above 2 inches
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your grandsons are just having a septal skin connecting the normal buttock cheeks. This is a normal physiological variation and is not indicative of any pathological problem.
There is nothing to be worried about. Since it is not causing any physical problem to them, so no treatment is needed.
You can bring it to the notice of their pediatrician on your next visit so that he can thoroughly examine them for any other congenital malformations.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.