Extended tummies since birth, appear bloated, slim. Treatment?

Hi, I have two granddaugheters 2.5 years and 1.4 years old, both have extended tummies, which always appear bloated, when the first one was born the doctor said he thinks it will disappear after 5 years old but now the second child has the same issues. Both are very slim otherwise.

The older one now is asking why her tummy is big and this is causing some distress with her mother, is there anything we can do and what causes this?

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 28 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

You have 2 grand children who have bloating of abdomen.

There are many causes for bloating of abdomen like excessive gas, lactose intolerance, indigestion, trapped wind, constipation etc.

A mother’s diet may also contribute to gas in her child. Excessive acidity and dairy products may result in dairy intolerances. Many children also have food sensitivities, which can lead to stomach bloating. Try eliminating certain foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, soy and peanuts, and slowly reintroduce them. Also avoid foods known to cause gas, such as beans and broccoli.

Crying can also cause stomach bloating as a result of gulping air.

You could follow the following measures:

1. Control their food habits and tell them to eat slowly.
2. Limit wheat products – they contain gluten, which can produce burning sensations and lead to production of excess gases, resulting in bloating.
3. Minimize the use of antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the harmless bacteria normally present in the digestive tract that usually help you digest food.
4. Limit sugar and salt. Take only what you need. Excessive sugar and salt in the form of processed foods also causes stomach bloating. Reduce carbonated drinks too.

If none of these measure help you will need to XXXXXXX a Gastroenterologist who can perform necessary investigations like Ultrasound to know any pathology.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Extended tummies since birth, appear bloated, slim. Treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you, both girls have had this since birth, does this give more help?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Since you say that this is present since birth and you have ruled out other possibilities, they might be having possibility of probiotic deficiency which might be causing this kind of bloating in the abdomen.

If the mother was on antibiotics during her pregnancy or delivery, there are chances the children might be having deficiency of probiotics or their natural flora would have been altered. You could try Yakult probiotics for a few months and see the difference.