Exposure to sun,cold hands,varied heart rate

My husband 77 was out in the sun with me this afternoon - now his hands r cold but he is feeling ok - I am worried- what should I do?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 13 minutes later

Sinus arrhythmia is a normal variation in the heart rate due to our breathing. It will manifest in ECG as slight change in heart rate from beat to beat. This is a normal response of heart bets to breathing and is of no concern.

Intra-Atrial Conduction Delay. Well, the parameter which you have given are all withi normal limits. Slight variation or deviation from normal values can occur and is of not much clinical concern.

P/PR - 136/158 (Normally 130/120 - 200 ms)
QRS - 110 (Normally up to 110 ms)
QTc - 438 ms (Normally < 440 ms)
Axis and Heart rate are normal.

Therefore, please be reassured.
Your parameters are fairly within normal limits and do not need any intervention

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Exposure to sun,cold hands,varied heart rate 32 minutes later
Your answer does not respond to my ?
I asked why after being in the sun for a whole my day my 77 ur old husband has cold hands and feet !
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 4 hours later

Sorry for the error.

As a response to exposure to sun, body tries to dissipate heat. This occurs mainly by sweating. This leads to loss of heat and this occurs more from the acral parts of the body such as hands, fingers, earlobes and feets. This causes temperature difference and hands to be colder than the body.

Occasionally, there can be a fall in Blood Pressure due to excess exhaustion. Again this can lead to cold extremities. However, this will be associated with other symptoms such as fatigue, weakness and dizzyness. Your husband is feeling ok and its unlikely to be he cause.

Please be reassured.

You can consider checking his heart rate and blood pressures. If they are normal, there is no active intervention required.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information
Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Exposure to sun,cold hands,varied heart rate 15 hours later
Thank you for your delayed answer! However, when I really needed u last nIght your answer was not applicable and confusing ! I will not be accepting your answer now that the emergency is over! If u r going to be a part of a site like this where users are expecting professional doctors you had better get on top or your game so you do no harm - the first ethical requirement of your profession!
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

I agree with you totally.
Again, my apologies for the error.

Wish you and your husband a great health.

Dr Kiran