Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Exposed to mustard gas. Have I damaged something in my body?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 557 Questions
Hi, I just mixed clr and bleach to try to clean my washer because my clothes weren't smelling up to par and when doing so I accidentally created mustard gas. I had exposure for maybe 35 seconds tops. How much damage, if any did I do to my lungs/nose/throat in doing so?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 18 minutes later

I hope that you were all right while writing this query. The smell of mixture may have mustard odor, but it difficult to predict its exact nature.
If you have sufficient exposure then there must be immediate symptoms like breathlessness, vomiting, giddiness or sweating. If you do not have any symptoms, then it is least likely that you had any damage.
Anytime after exposure, if you feel the above symptoms then do not waste time and please rush to the emergency room. Otherwise, no need to worry at all. It will not have any long-term effects.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concerns, please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Exposed to mustard gas. Have I damaged something in my body? 26 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. Sanap! I was kind of getting concerned, but the fact that I didn't have any symptoms other than a little eye irritation, which was mild, to deal with.

You rock!
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

I think there is no need to worry now. Just have delicate eyewash with cold water. It will decrease your eye irritation.

Best luck and enjoy life.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor