Exposed to Hep C. Report came with positive Hep B. How can it be possible?

I have a patient who was exposed to a patient in XXXXXXX with Hep C. Everything was negative on his panel.
3 months out. He did not report for testing at six months. But we caught him in september. Everything was negative except he now has a positive HBeAg. which indicates viral replication and infectiousness His Hep series was repeated ending in August. He had a series in 2007. So why are all his other tests negative. This kid is on numerous drugs for
for psche issues and a poor historian. I brought the results to my physician and he said to retest him in three months. Is that common. I am just worried about him should we be doing more for him or is
it appropriate to see how it goes.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Hep C is hepatitis C.
HBeAg is hepatitis B.

Can you just clarify whether he was exposed to a patient with hepatitis C or hepatitis B?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Exposed to Hep C. Report came with positive Hep B. How can it be possible? 22 hours later
He was exposed to Hep C those markers are all negative. However the
Hep B eAG was positive when he had follow up labs in September. He had
two complete series of Hep B one in 07 and this was repeated after his Hep
B surface antigen was negative on his post C exposure. I understand Hep Be AG
is positive if there is replication of Hep B virus. However I would expect some
changes in the Hep B panel if thats whats going on and that is the only abnormal
finding. It is an unusual situation. Should we be doing more than watch him for three months. He seems to be well.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
Thanks for the additional information.

This could be a possible reactivation of Hepatitis B infection.
HBsAg may (re)appear.

HBV DNA and Anti HBc IgM and Total tests along with liver function test may be done for further evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini